Happy Women’s History Month! Tell me a little about yourself?
We are professional Hair Stylists and founders of DreamGirls Hair, a salon and hair care product line. We founded DreamGirls hair because we are on a mission to debunk the stereotypes that Black women often face when it comes to their hair. We have a decade-long reputation of having “magic growing hands,” helping Black women grow their hair through our in-salon “DreamGirls Healthy Hair Program,” and helping them care for their hair at home with our 5-step Healthy Hair Care System Kit.
How would you say your own personal hair journey influenced your brand?
Sharie: My own personal hair journey has had a huge influence on my brand. Growing up, I always remember reading hair care products that used negative words like unruly and tame.
Tonya: This inspired me to create a line of products that were not only effective but products that spoke life back into your hair.
Sharie: For example, my sister Tonya and I named our detangler the TLC Comb-Out because your hair deserves Tender love and care, and Revival Deep Treatment because our products are made to bring your hair back to life and achieve your hair goals. Our brand is centered around the idea that everyone deserves to have healthy, beautiful hair, regardless of their hair type. My journey has also taught me to appreciate the diversity and beauty of all types of hair. I strive to create products that embrace and celebrate diversity and growth both physically and mentally when it comes to how we see our hair.
How long would you say it takes to see results while using one brand of products consistently?
Results will vary based on individual hair care needs and specific hair goals. However, with consistent use, we guarantee that if your hair follicles aren’t severely damaged that we can and will help you grow back your hair.
Also, what key facts should you know about your hair when choosing a system of products?
1. Your hair type (e.g. straight, wavy, curly, etc.)
2. Your hair texture (e.g. fine, coarse, etc.)
3. Your scalp type (e.g. dry, oily, combination, etc.)
4. Your hair porosity (e.g. low, medium, high, etc.)
5. Your hair needs (e.g. needing more hydration, more volume, etc.)
6. Your hair goals (e.g. wanting to add shine, reduce frizz, etc.)
Is length the only sign to knowing you have healthy hair? If not, what are a few signs that can tell you have healthy hair?
No, length is not the only sign of healthy hair. Healthy hair is possible at any length whether its neck length or down your back. Other signs of healthy hair include shine, volume, strength, elasticity, retention and no split ends. It should be free of dandruff, split ends, breakage, and excessive shedding.
You have an extensive resume when it comes to how much you furthered your education to fully understand not just hair but human genetics and molecular biology. What can you tell us about how what we put into our bodies effects or encourages the health of our hair?
We aren’t doctors and always advise first consulting with your doctor to see what’s going on internally with your hair, because your physical health and hair are correlated. We advise getting your blood work done so you are able to see if you are deficient in certain areas that could be resulting in hair loss.
Eating a balanced diet full of vitamins and minerals is important for promoting healthy hair growth. Foods rich in proteins, fatty acids, iron, zinc, and vitamin C are essential for hair health. Additionally, foods that are full of antioxidants, like berries, can help protect the hair from damage, while foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, like avocados, can help reduce inflammation. Drinking plenty of water is also beneficial for keeping the hair hydrated and promoting growth. Avoiding excessive amounts of sugar, processed foods, and alcohol can help to maintain healthy hair.
For those who feel their hair grade isn’t manageable or it will never get easier to tame without a relaxer, is it possible to convert to another grade or would it be a matter of learning your hair well enough to know what products will increase manageability?
We think that it’s important to learn your hair well enough to know what products will increase manageability. We advise booking a consultation with a hair expert or stylist so that they can thoroughly review your hair, go over your hair history, and give the best advice on your hair care needs. At DreamGirls salon we offer in-person and virtual hair consultations so that we can go over your hair and best advise you on how to move forward to achieve your hair goals.
If you had the ability to implement 3 ways to improve or enhance the industry, what would they be?
1. Empowering Consumers: Consumers should have access to more information about hair care products, such as ingredients and reviews from other customers who have used the same product. This would help them make better decisions about what products to buy and use.
2. Improving Education: One of the best ways to improve the hair care industry is to increase education on the importance of healthy hair practices. From understanding the different types of hair to learning about the best products to use, increased education can help consumers make more informed decisions when it comes to taking care of their hair.
3. Increasing Diversity: The hair care industry often caters to a limited range of hair types, leaving many consumers feeling excluded. By increasing the range of products available, the industry can become more inclusive and cater to a wider variety of hair types. This can also help to build trust between consumers and the industry, leading to more sustainable relationships.
Getting to know the brains behind the brand!! Drop 3 Fun Facts about yourself that aren’t related to hair!!
1. We have Birthdays that are one day apart. Sharie’s birthday is January 17th and Tonya’s Birthday is January 18th.
2. We’ve both owned other businesses not related to hair. Sharie had 3 clothing boutiques in Sacramento while doing hair and Tonya was the owner of 2 private preschools in Los Angeles.
3. We both have done motivational speaking to inspire women to achieve their business goals.
What woman inspires you and why?
Our mother inspired us for her courage, resilience, and strength. She faced many challenges in her life and always found a way to come out on top. She taught us to never give up and to always keep pushing forward.
Any advice for a young lady trying to find their way in entrepreneurship
Believe in yourself and don’t be afraid to take risks. Every successful entrepreneur has taken risks and faced failure along the way. Our motto for doing things is like the Nike slogan, “Just Do It.”
How can our readers connect with you?
Sharie Wilson & Tonya Thompson, Co-Founders of DreamGirls